The popular career website, Indeed, lists the average California real estate agent’s salary as $104,395. That’s pretty lucrative!
At the end of the 2020 Fiscal Year, California’s Department of Real Estate (DRE) reported 292,368 real estate salespersons and 130,128 licensed brokers in the state. If you’re thinking of joining the ranks, you might be wondering what steps you need to take.
Technically, it’s easy to become a licensed real estate salesperson. Perhaps that’s why 1000-2000+ Californians obtain their licenses in a typical month. But becoming a SUCCESSFUL real estate agent takes a little more soul-searching.
Is Real Estate the Right Career for You?
Real estate isn’t for everyone. In fact, only a small percentage of those who take the courses are still in the industry five years later. Before you dive in, ask yourself a few important questions:
- Am I passionate about meeting and helping people? Not all clients will be easy to work with, but you can feel great about helping people meet their goals and reach their dreams.
- Do I enjoy selling, marketing, and advertising? These activities can take a great deal of time, but they can make a huge difference when it comes to being successful.
- Do I have enough funds in reserve to pay for living and business expenses for a minimum of 6-12 months? Since real estate agents are typically self-employed, you’ll be responsible for your own savings, insurances, and benefits. Sometimes, it can take several months to close your first deal and earn your first commission. That said, you may be able to find salaried employment as a licensed assistant while you learn the ropes.
- Am I self-motivated? Will you be able to persist when the going gets rough? Disciplined, inspired individuals will think outside the box and find solutions during lean times.
- How are my time management skills? A successful realtor will need to be able to multi-task, handling several deals at once. You’ll need to be organized so you can locate information quickly, keep your paperwork in order, and manage your schedule efficiently.
If the answer to all five of these questions is a resounding “YES!” then chances are you’ll be an excellent real estate agent. Don’t worry if you can’t answer all of them positively. With mentorship and practice, you can learn some of these skills as you go. If you’re still not sure, sign up for one of our upcoming Career Day events. You and other curious entrepreneurs can ask our licensed professionals questions about real estate to help you decide whether you’ll be a good fit.
Steps to Obtaining Your California Real Estate License
If you’re ready to take on a new career in real estate, here’s what you need to do:
- Enroll in Real Estate Training – The first thing you need to do is complete the mandatory pre-license training with 60 percent or higher. KW Real Estate Schools is a great place to get started. We provide all the state-regulated courses you need, in two different streams. When you choose Group Study, you can interact in-class with a licensed instructor and other students or on virtual webinar sessions. If you select Fast-Track, you get self-paced online learning, which is ideal for independent learners.
- Pass the California Real Estate Licensing Exam – The exam is 3 hours long and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions. You’ll need a score of 70 percent to pass. Our courses include over 1000 practice exam questions and a live exam prep class to help you ace the exam on the first try. If you don’t quite feel ready to write the exam, the Tutor 6-Pack offers one-on-one instructor support to boost your confidence.
- Join a brokerage – Once you’re officially licensed, you’ll need to join a brokerage for supervision and compliance, before you can sell. Since KW Real Estate Schools are partnered with Keller Williams brokerages, they’ll reimburse your program from your first closing, if you decide to work with them.
With KW Real Estate schools, we’ll walk you through the real estate licensing process and get you working in as little as 100 days. If that seems a little too fast, no problem. You’ve got up to a year to complete the course and we do offer enrollment extensions when life gets in the way.
Enroll today and start your career in real estate. Work hard, help people, earn more!